[ppml] Policy 2002-5

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Wed Dec 4 17:32:32 EST 2002

SNIP>>>
  - ARIN should make publicly available list of blocks that had been
previously allocated and then returned back to ARIN. ARIN should wait
12 months or more before re-allocating previously returned blocks.
--------
Can't you almost do that now? By going and check the block owner list at the FTP site? and then going to historical files?
Not sure just asking...
--------
SNIP>>>

completed returned.  The above suggestion in #3 was for list to be
published after the block is returned, but perhaps list can also be
published for blocks that are expected to be returned as well and if the
list states when the block would no longer be used, then waiting period
before ARIN could reuse the block could be shorter too. Additionally
probably it should be allowed for somebody to comment to ARIN (perhaps to
specially designated email) when the block being returned had been in
blacklists and possibly company that had it was involved in questionable
activities. I'm not certain ARIN should actually do anything due to this
complaints, but perhaps keeping statistics of how often this happens
would be usefull for future discussions and policy making.

SNIP>>>>

I like this idea, and I realize one of my suggestions earlier would have proposed the use of the "NET-FORCE" concept.
But I can equate the use of -5 and -6 to getting a used car, but with a used car I can see how much it was abused.

Jim