[ppml] Question?

John M. Brown john at chagres.net
Mon Dec 2 15:24:58 EST 2002

Hmm, developing a STANDARD to stop spammers means they
will find a way to "route around the damage, er, standard".

What people seem to fail at understanding is that SPAM is
no different, technically speaking, than regular mail.  It
follows the various RFC's to communicate the bits.

People have tried for multiple years to define nice neat
little definitions of what SPAM is, how to 100 percent
guarantee that a message is SPAM and zap it.

So far, I haven't seen any silver bullet that catches
100 percent all spam with no false positives.

To have the IETF, RIR's, and others create a standard is
myopic at best, and dangerous at worse.

SPAM is a social and economic issue.  As long as WorldCom
and others take money from those that SPAM, the edge
of the net is unsecure, and people make money from sending
SPAM, it will continue to exist.

Bottomline, RIR's, ICANN, IANA, IETF, IESG, IAB, et al are
NOT the Police.Net.  We should NOT encourage them to be
the Police.Net.

If enough people don't like SPAM, then march on your state
capital, or on Washington DC and get the laws changed.

If you don't like that, then stop buying services from
those that support spammers.  Otherwords vote with
your checkbook.

I'd suspect that WorldCom would drop a DS1 spammer if they
new I recently decided NOT to purchase a DS3 worth of bandwidth
becuase of the recent article in which the admitted to supporting
spammers as customers.  I voted with my checkbook.

John Brown