Policy Proposal 2001-1

Lee Howard lhoward at UU.NET
Tue Sep 25 11:43:36 EDT 2001

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Randy Bush wrote:

> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:02:00 -0700
> From: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>
> To: David R Huberman <huberman at gblx.net>
> Cc: ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: Policy Proposal 2001-1
>
> >>   It is currently required all /29 and shorter reassignments be
> >>   reported to the ARIN WHOIS database via SWIP or RWHOIS.  It is
> >>   proposed this policy be modified to require reporting for /28
> >>   and shorter reassignments only.
> >
> > Since I actually put forth this idea a few weeks ago on this list,
> > I'll re-iterate, in short, my reasoning:
> >
> > 	(1) Most /29s I see assigned are for home networks.
> >
> > 	(1a) Most home networks are (and in my opinion, should be)
> > 	SWIPed with the upstream's contact information in the POC
> > 	field.
> >
> > 	(2) Taking out /29s from the SWIPing requirement should,
> > 	in some measurable (hopefully meaningful) way, reduce
> > 	the load on operators and on ARIN.
>
> there is also a possible privacy benefit by not mandating folk's home
> data be revealed.
>
> randy

We already have such a policy, since the 6/12/2000 Board meeting:

 Scott Bradner put forth the motion that ARIN require only name, city,
 state, and zipcode be reported for all residential reassignments via
 SWIP or an RWHOIS server. "Private residence" would be substituted
 in the address field. Scott Marcus seconded the motion and a unanimous
 vote carried the motion.
http://www.arin.net/minutes/bot/bot06122000.html

There was discussion at the public policy meeting in fall 1999, and
the AC made the policy recommendation to the Board.  Just the way
policy is supposed to work.

Given that such a policy exists, do we need to alter the minimum SWIP
size?

Lee