Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2001-2

dawn martin martind at UU.NET
Wed Nov 14 10:40:42 EST 2001

It has been my experience that when a customer asks for a "Class C"
it is more to do with a lack of knowledge. When I start getting
host count information and make suggestions as to the correct size
that is justified and explain, they usually have no problem. If
the customer has been told by a consultant that they need at least
a "Class C" block then we go into it further. If they are going
to be multi-homed then I work with them in getting enough IP address
space to be routable.

In justifying a /24 they do have to provide a list of ALL address
space issued to their network. If they are going to do BGP and
they already have a /24 from another provider and don't have the
host count to justify additional space, none should be given.

I believe it is a matter of talking to our clients. I think that
Daniel is right in that we won't be wasting any additional space and
that we aren't trying to change our (ISP's) current operating
procedures but we are trying to update ARIN's guidelines.

-Dawn Martin