corrected: Policy 2001-2, Multihoming is sufficient justifica tion for /24 from provider (fwd)

Dawn Martin martind at UU.NET
Mon Nov 5 19:59:54 EST 2001

ARIN's current justifications are:
a) Unique Routing Policy

   Please explain how your routing policy is different from your provider.

b) Multi-homed Site

   If your organization is currently multi-homed, please explain exactly
   how you are connected to the Internet to include the following
   information:

         i)  Exterior gateway protocol to be used
        ii)  The IP network addresses that will make up your AS
       iii)  Technical point of contact information for each of your
             upstream providers/peers should include:

In this discussion we are talking about b.

Most of our cutomers are using BGP, for ARIN to issue the ASN the
customer HAS to have the IP blocks and the tech contacts.

So, if we require the customer to have an ASN to get the block
and ARIN requires them to have a netblock before they get the ASN.
Where do they go? APNIC?

Either, this policies wording needs to change or ARIN's jusitifcation
for an AS number needs to change.

Which is it? I would rather see this policies wording changed.

-Dawn Martin

Quoth Sweeting, John (John.Sweeting at teleglobe.com):