Policy 6 - Single organizations with multiple aggregation points

Louis Lee louie at equinix.com
Mon Nov 5 12:26:20 EST 2001

So it was proposed that the original text with "must" be
changed to "should" in the above point.  Having either one
indicates that there is a judgement over the "compelling-ness"
of the criteria in the organization's network design.

How about if we alter it to say:

  * The organization must state its criteria for creating
    discrete networks. [keep examples]

Of course, I'm playing devil's advocate here, since I like
having the "compelling criteria" text in there.  It would
force the organization to think twice about their network
design before requesting for this policy to be applied to
them.

On another point, do we need to briefly define "discrete
multi-homed networks" or "discrete networks"?  I understand
what Andrew means by it, but there seemed to have been
some confusion during last week's meetings.  In addition,
many organizations reading this text may not have the benefit
of our discussions for clarification.

Your thoughts?

> * The organization must keep detailed records of how it has
> allocated space to each discrete network.  This should include
> the block allocated, any reserved blocks, and date of
> allocation/reservation.  The discrete network allocation
> information should also be present in a public database
> (Example:  routing registry, rWhois, or SWIP).
>
> * The organization must not allocate additional space to a
> discrete network unless all the blocks allocated to that
> network show utilization greater than 80% individually and
> as a whole.

Louie
Louis Lee                                       louie at equinix.com
Network Engineer                             office: 650/316-6162
Equinix, Inc.                                   fax: 650/316-6903
http://www.equinix.com/