/24 assignments to multi-homed customers who can't justify th e us e of >126 hosts in 3-6 months

jforeman at bbo.com jforeman at bbo.com
Thu Mar 15 13:51:07 EST 2001

Hi,

I received some informative responses from members of this list regarding
the initial message I sent (see below). Could someone from ARIN please
respond with your thoughts on this matter?

I sent email directly to ARIN and also phoned the registration help desk. In
both situations I was informed that ARIN does not allocate or allow others
to allocate netblocks based on routing needs.

As far as I see it, for the Internet community as a whole, there are two
solutions:

1) ARIN needs to change its policy to accommodate institutions that have a
need to be multi-homed, or,
2) ISPs need to modify their routing policies to allow advertisements longer
than a /24.

In my opinion, the most viable solution is the first one mentioned above. In
order to implement solution #2, you'd have to get all of the ISPs that are
out there to change their routing policies. This is much more difficult than
having one organization (ARIN) make the change.

The additional problem with solution #2 is: if ISPs change their routing
policies to allow advertisements longer than a /24, can their routers
accommodate the increased size of the Internet routing table? Probably not,
since that is why the /24 policies are in place.

Of course, the main problem with solution #1 is that certain netblocks will
be inefficiently allocated. However, most customers that are multi-homed
typically have enough hosts to require a /24 netblock or larger, so in all
likelihood, there probably won't be many institutions that can't justify a
/24 but need to be multi-homed.

It would be interesting if ARIN could share the number of ASNs that have
been registered within the last year. Based on my experience over the last 2
years installing BGP customers at ISPs, I would estimate that, at the very
high end, 10% of institutions that aim to be multi-homed will require a
larger netblock than they can justify in order to accommodate those routing
needs. If the appropriate parties at ARIN could project the number of ASNs
that will be registered over the next few years.. you could calculate how
many networks/IPs will be inefficiently allocated and see what sort of
impact a policy change would have.

Thanks,

Jon Foreman
BBO - Service Activation Engineer