ARIN's policies concerning dial-up pools

Andy andy at tigerteam.net
Fri Jan 19 07:02:31 EST 2001

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Alec H. Peterson wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> >
> > I disagree. If they have 20 modems, there are twenty IPs. I don't care if
> > there are only 20 users. The ratio is IP to modem and it should be 1:1.
>
> I believe that is why Richard specifically mentioned peak utilization.  If
> there are 20 modems but 6 of them are only ever in use at a given time, that
> is a waste of both modems and IP addresses.  It isn't ARIN's business if the
> company is wasting money on modems, but it is ARIN's business if the company
> is wasting IP addresses.

I agree, if there is some sort of internal policy that the company
has imposed on itself that states only 6 modems are in use at one time,
then sure, pool of 6 ips. Most people would just spring for 6 modems
though as opposed to 20 I would think. Its sematics. If I have 20
workstations, but only 6 can be turned on at the same time...

andy