ARIN's policies concerning dial-up pools

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Fri Jan 19 13:05:49 EST 2001

Andy wrote:

> I disagree. If they have 20 modems, there are twenty IPs. I don't care if
> there are only 20 users. The ratio is IP to modem and it should be 1:1.

I believe that is why Richard specifically mentioned peak utilization.  If
there are 20 modems but 6 of them are only ever in use at a given time, that
is a waste of both modems and IP addresses.  It isn't ARIN's business if the
company is wasting money on modems, but it is ARIN's business if the company
is wasting IP addresses.

Alec

Alec H. Peterson - ahp at hilander.com
Staff Scientist
CenterGate Research Group - http://www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even _we_ don't understand it!"