consistancy

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Sun Sep 17 20:40:48 EDT 2000

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 07:00:55PM -0500, Mury wrote:

> How come you snipped #2, which said:

Because I was responding to the glaring inaccuracy in your message:
>>> 1)  The ICANN bylaws assign to the ASO (which ARIN is) the responsibility

You were identifying ARIN and the ASO.  ARIN is not the ASO.  As a
significant component of the ASO, of course ARIN has a large role in
global policy development.  ARIN can make proposals etc.  But ARIN
doesn't *decide global policies*; and it doesn't *make* global policies
-- the other RIRs are equal players, and their interests don't always
coincide with ARINs (though certainly all the registries have an
interest in reclaiming space).

[...]

> In either case whether you want to argue that it is the ASO and not ARIN,
> isn't my point that ICANN has given the RIRs or ASO the authority and the
> responsibility to delevop global policies?
>
> You are arguing against me, but making my point.

Actually, I'm not arguing for you or against you -- I'm just correcting
an inaccuracy.

kent at songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain