[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Apr 24 14:18:02 EDT 2013

On 4/24/13 6:33 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I cannot see any justification for an expectation that incumbents should be forced to subsidize new entrants.

elsewhere, it is observed that "less than 1% (its closer to around
0.5%) individual allocations account for more than half of the number
of allocated addresses."

arin's fees could be based on expectations other than a naive notion
of "subsidy", by the 1% or less, or of the 1% or less.

it seems to me, and i don't intend to convince anyone, merely to
express my thoughts, that here, as in another area of unique
identifier allocation, the choice is not limited to "no cost to
incumbent", as the resource exists for purposes other than providing
profits to one or more parties exercising something approaching market
power.

eric