[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Apr 23 13:59:25 EDT 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Michael Tague <tague at win.net> wrote:

> Thank you John.   If I can recap from your PDF, the breakdown is:
>
> 	32% Registry
> 	50% Registry Development
> 	 6% ARIN Organization
> 	12% Internet Governance
>   ------------
>     100% Total Budget ($9.3M - 2011)

      $9.3M was the costs January through August 2011.

> John would you say that the Registry cost is based mostly upon:
>
> 	1.  New Block registration costs

Registration services handles the requests for new blocks, but also
provides the registration services help desk (7 AM to 7 PM) for all
registry users, both new and existing.  While the number of requests
does impact workload, it is a secondary factor compared to the
requirements for staff the helpdesks and helpdesks at ARIN and NANOG
meetings.  These are fairly fixed and included in core registry costs.

> 	2.  Cost of maintaining a block (a /8 or /20, no difference)

Registry costs are fairly fixed (engineering operations/sysadmin,
software/hardware depreciation and maintenance), but our some our
costs (for storage, licenses, bandwidth, etc.) do grow with number
of registry records.

> 	3.  Cost related to the size of the block (total Address space)

No relation to costs.  We couldn't afford to maintain a single IPv6 address
block in the registry if there were any costs that were proportional to
number of IP addresses in the registry.

I hope this information is useful - please let me know if you need anything
else...

Thanks!
/John

John Curran