[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Apr 22 18:05:34 EDT 2013

On 4/22/13 2:10 PM, Michael Tague wrote:
> Yes, NeuStar operates NPAC on a contract so that is a bit different than
> ARIN, but, on the other hand, it is a number resource like ARIN operated on
> behalf of its industry (and the public) like ARIN which needs to raise its
> operating funds from the industry it serves like ARIN.

According to Jesse Geddis neither my observation nor your reply meet
his threshold for relevance, however, the contractual relationships of
ARIN and the USG, and NeuStar and the USG, related to the NPAC
function, are quite different, as are the relationships between the
v4, and v6 block allocatees and the allocators, and that of
participants in the telephony numbering plan.

If your point is that two resources exist, alike in dignity ... and
then conclude that the allocations should be similar, fine, but please
don't imply that the entities responsible for implementing allocation
policies are therefore similar. The regulatory and lobbyist overheads
of circuit side are, in my quite limited view, refreshingly absent
when it comes to v{4|6} policy.

Eric