[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

Jesse D. Geddis jesse at la-broadband.com
Wed Apr 17 20:04:23 EDT 2013

Randy,

	I'm shooting for simple and equitable. The only two ways I can see to
accomplish this is via a flat fee or by using an exponential linear model.

	As an aside I just did the math on a flat fee model based on John's
earlier revenue numbers of $9.9mil that comes out (rounded up) to $3,000
an Org. That would lower the cost for 1757 orgs and raise it $750 for
2,240. I think that's probably heading in the wrong direction since we
have a dual goal of getting IPv6 and folks should probably subsidize the
smaller allocations.

	For me, I think adding more categories would take a dated and inequitable
model and keep it dated. The current model has been used since I was a
teenager and it, like IPv4 address space hasn't scaled. However, based on
what you're suggesting here it sounds more like doubling every 2 bits
rather adding more categories which is fine by me.

	John, what do you think this would look like based on real numbers?

Jesse Geddis
LA Broadband LLC