[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

Jesse D. Geddis jesse at la-broadband.com
Wed Apr 17 18:49:33 EDT 2013

Randy,

My main issue here is that there's a fee cutoff after /14. I don't believe
there should be.

Whether it's pegged at each bit change or each doubling it's still pegged
at a specific IP allocation which can be boiled down to a per ip cost just
as ARIN's current fee schedule can be boiled down to a per IP cost.

I haven't taken the time to do the math on your 16,000% assertion but my
sense is that it's intended to be hyperbolic by selectively presenting the
biggest number possible. Right now there's a 1,600% increase from /32 to
/22 for IPv6. Percentage-wise that's quite a big number, right? But in
real dollars it's only a 16x increase in fees for some astronomical
increase in address space that I haven't taken the time to calculate.

Jesse Geddis
LA Broadband LLC