[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Apr 17 15:30:48 EDT 2013

On Apr 17, 2013, at 10:21 AM, Jesse D. Geddis <jesse at la-broadband.com> wrote:

> Regarding your mention of ARINs costs associated with different tiers and the assertion that x-large costs ARIN less money. No one has put forth any hard data whatsoever to support that argument. Its an unfounded assertion that's been given mythological status by you and some other folks. Indeed, even John Curran himself mentioned we can look at other models including pegging the fees to actual ARIN costs implying that they aren't right now.

Jesse -

  There are lots of ways to establish fees, and each will excel at
  approximating costs for some users and do poorly for others.  It
  is not feasible to aim for perfect cost recovery model, as it would
  have dozens of factors going into the calculation of each members fees.

> And please, let's stick to the facts and avoid repeated assertions like the below that have no basis in actual data. Personally, I think trying to divine ARINs cost per tier and creating a fee structure based on that is a very bad idea. Indeed, my proposal is fundamental in getting rid of the current tier structure altogether.

 Recognize that there is a transaction cost involved in issuing (or
 transfering) an address block to a party, but beyond that point,
 ARIN's actual costs are not significantly different for a large IP
 address block versus a small IP address block.  We should all be
 very thankful for this, as ARIN's costs would have become enormous
 upon the assignment of the first IPv4 block...  (which has so many
 individual IP addresses that any cost per IP would still be too much.)

 ARIN's costs do go up with each address block in registry, and the
 structure of the present fee schedule is reasonable approach to the
 allocation of costs across the members based on their size.  This is
 remarkably common among trade associations (which is our organizational
 structure) only we are doing it via address holdings rather than the
 most typical budget/revenue size.

FYI,
/John

John Curran