[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

David Conrad david at cloudflare.com
Mon Apr 15 15:45:08 EDT 2013

On Apr 15, 2013, at 12:15 PM, rlc at usfamily.net wrote:
> Quite in fact, they should have been handing out IPv6 space for free to early adopters

They were.

> who were already paying for IPv4 and gradually ratcheting up the
> per-ip cost of IPv4, if their goal was to expedite IPv6 adoption, which it
> clearly isn't.

Long ago, I proposed a policy that would have required some demonstration of IPv6 deployment plans in order to get additional IPv4 address space. The community was uninterested at the time, telling me (among other things) that it wasn't ARIN's job to promote a particular technology. Perhaps times have changed.

> More to the point, there seems to be a peculiar distaste for market-based solutions.

How does the saying go? "To each according to need..."?  :)

More seriously, if you think the small guys are getting screwed under existing ARIN policies, I'm not sure how a market approach would improve things given the buying power of the larger guys (speaking as someone who believes a market-based approach is inevitable).

Regards,
-drc