[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Apr 15 15:49:15 EDT 2013

On Apr 15, 2013, at 3:15 PM, rlc at usfamily.net wrote:

> Quite in fact, they should have been handing out IPv6 space for free to early
> adopters who were already paying for IPv4 and gradually ratcheting up the
> per-ip cost of IPv4, if their goal was to expedite IPv6 adoption, which it
> clearly isn't.

In fact, you describe exactly what we we've been doing ARIN had an IPv6
fee waiver for many years and ramped it up to similar fees to IPv4 over
time.

> More to the point, there seems to be a peculiar distaste for market-based
> solutions.

Could you elaborate some on the above point?  I believe ARIN was the first
RIR to have a formal transfer policy supporting market-based mechanisms...

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO