[arin-discuss] tweak to proposed fee schedule

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Apr 12 13:19:27 EDT 2013

On Apr 12, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Michael Sinatra <michael+ppml at burnttofu.net>
 wrote:

> For the record, I have proposed this fee schedule tweak on PPML--twice
> so far.  The closest thing I have received to an objection from that
> mailing list is that I should take it to -discuss, which I did.

Which is excellent...

> I plan to go back to PPML with a summary of what has been discussed on this
> list.

We've ac
tually had quite a few proposals for changes to the structure
of fee schedule, including rescaling the IPv6 categories upwards to
provide for larger blocks in each range, completing waiving IPv6 fees,
moving to a flat per-ISP fee, moving to per-record fees and substantial
transaction fees including customer support, fees based on organizational
revenue, etc.

As a result, I'll raising the topic of overall structure and approach
of the fee schedule to the ARIN Board at its next meeting to determine
how they wish to proceed.  The Board typically refers such things to its
Finance Committee per its charter to review and recommend fee changes
<https://www.arin.net/about_us/committeecharters.html#fin>, and this
may involve one or more rounds of community consultation as appropriate.
I will be bringing your proposal to this discussion as well as others
as a I can best describe.

> Beyond that, I am not sure how to make a more formal proposal to
> the Board regarding fees.  (It's probably on documented on somewhere,
> but, as you have seen, I can be a bit lazy at looking these things up. :) )

For the record, suggestions regarding ARIN's fees, services, and
practices can be formally submitted here via the ARIN Suggestion
Process <https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/acsp.html>, although
that simply adds formal tracking to the receipt and disposition of
anything submitted. To the extent that we can discern a suggestion
on the mailing lists that is timely and topical, I will review them
as well.

FYI and thanks!
/John

John Curran