[arin-discuss] Status of realigning the IPv6 fee structure?

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Mar 14 19:05:44 EDT 2012

On 3/14/12 16:26 CDT, Robert Marder wrote:
> I would agree with this.
>
> The smallest allocation available to ISP's under IPv4 (the /22) should
> cost the same as the smallest allocation available to ISP's under IPv6
> (the /32).
>
> That just seems like common sense to me.
>
> Changing the smallest allocation available under IPv6 isn't very fair to
> those that adopted IPv6 early - early adopters shouldn't be stuck with
> higher fees because the goal posts were moved.

I agree that there shouldn't be an early adopter TAX on X-small ISPs
that moved forward with a /32 before the /36 option was available, if
anything they should get some kind of benefit.  Therefore, I think my
preferred solution is a grandfather clause in the fee structure, or a
permanent fee waiver so to speak, for any ISPs that currently has an
X-small IPv4 allocation that receives a /32 IPv6 allocation before
December 31, 2012 can continue to be eligible for the X-small IPv6
allocation rate as long as they don't grow their IPv4 allocation beyond
X-small, or their IPv6 allocation beyond /32.

Then starting January 1, 2013 if you want to remain an X-small ISP you
will have to select a /36 allocation.

I'm suggesting December 31, 2012 to hopefully create a small incentive
for X-small ISPs that haven't move forward to get their IPv6 allocation,
to do so yet this year.  Basically, for a limited remaining time, get a
/32 for the price of a /36 deal to get the smaller guys moving.

Also I would like to remind everyone who grumbles about Legacy IPv4,
that it is equally unfair to create an early adopter TAX for Legacy
IPv4.  However, I equally believe it is time for Legacy IPv4 holders to
step up to the plate and at least to start minimally contributing to the
upkeep of the system too.  I think the current Legacy RSA and its flat
Org ID based fee structure is a pretty reasonable compromise.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952