[arin-discuss] Status of realigning the IPv6 fee structure?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Mar 13 20:21:14 EDT 2012

On Mar 13, 2012, at 6:13 PM, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> By the way, I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that that
> currently an ISP which has an allocation of a /22 of IPv4 space
> (extra-small) that gets the default-smallest-ISP-allocation of IPv6
> address space (a /32) suddenly becomes "small" - which results in
> their yearly ARIN fees doubling.  $1250/year may not sound like a lot,
> but when you're an organization of that size every penny is watched
> carefully and it can be a tough sell to management, who may not see
> the cost/benefit proposition.
>
> It would be Extra Nice if the new fee schedule addressed the Extra
> Small problem.

Indeed.  Based on feedback expressed on the mailing lists and
at the Public Policy and Member meetings, the ARIN Board has
expressed to me the strong desire to minimize fees for the
smallest members, and not create a disincentive for adopting
IPv6 in the process.  I am working with the Board's Finance
Committee on proposals that will meet those expectations.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO