[arin-discuss] Status of realigning the IPv6 fee structure?

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Mar 13 20:13:01 EDT 2012

John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> writes:

> Randy -
>
>   Excellent question.  We're in the process of coming up with
>   a revised fee schedule for both IPv4 and IPv6 registration
>   services, and in light of this the ARIN Board approved in
>   December 2011 maintaining the current IPv6 fees (rather than
>   allowing the fees to increase as the temporary IPv6 fee waiver
>   expired.)
>
>   Our current timeline should have new fees schedule which takes
>   this into consideration before the 2012 Fall Public Policy
>   Meeting in Dallas.
>
> Thanks!s
> /John

By the way, I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that that
currently an ISP which has an allocation of a /22 of IPv4 space
(extra-small) that gets the default-smallest-ISP-allocation of IPv6
address space (a /32) suddenly becomes "small" - which results in
their yearly ARIN fees doubling.  $1250/year may not sound like a lot,
but when you're an organization of that size every penny is watched
carefully and it can be a tough sell to management, who may not see
the cost/benefit proposition.

It would be Extra Nice if the new fee schedule addressed the Extra
Small problem.

Thanks,

-r