[arin-discuss] Question about the ARIN Relying Party Agreement - RPKI 'everyone must sign' and such...

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Dec 5 14:17:37 EST 2012

On Dec 5, 2012, at 1:51 PM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> I'll note that we've also received praise from some folks who appreciate
>> ARIN's level of due diligence in this are
>
> sure, there's always 2 sides to a coin... not counting the ridged
> edge, of course.
>
> So, looking to the future, what happens if/when IANA (or someone)
> becomes a single-root for the RPKI? Does the RPA requirement go away
> at that point?

ARIN's participation in a global trust anchor (GTA) is predicated on
it only being made available to parties who have agreed to use data
in our CA conformance with our CPS.  This does not preclude a global
trust anchor (as folks that rely on certificates already need to keep
their usage in conformance with the associated CP and CPS statements)
but does mean getting an acknowledgement of this basic RPKI principle
recorded first.  See RFC 3647, the Internet X.509 framework for a good
discussion of CP/CPS interaction with legal agreements.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO