[arin-discuss] Bringing back IP resource Request Templates

William Astle astle at lexi.net
Mon Apr 2 16:04:24 EDT 2012

On 12-04-02 01:52 PM, Alec Ginsberg wrote:
> Once again...  All of these reasons are simply illustrating problems that could be fixed.  For example a proper HA infrastructure that is architected properly.

A proper HA infrastructure does not help if the internet between me and
that HA infrastructure is borked. Or my own internet connection is
borked. In both those cases, email will queue and deliver when the
borkage is resolved. With web/rest interface, I have to manage the
queuing in my application (if I need it) and odds are I'm going to get
it more wrong than my mail server does because the queuing aspect will
be tested very infrequently.

> So for all the email template fans.  Would you be ok if it was an XML template?

XML templates just carry a lot of baggage beyond the simple text based
templates. To handle XML properly, you need to use a full blown XML
parsing/manipulating library. Sure, XML can be created without such but
in 99 out of 98 cases where I've seen that done, it has been horribly
broken on a corner case that was not as rare as the designers thought.
(In one case it was done wrong twice, in two different ways.)

Obviously parsing/generating text templates can also be done wrong, but
the text templates are much easier for a human to parse if need be.

--
William Astle
Lexicom Ltd.