[arin-discuss] IPv6-only website

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Sat Apr 24 16:06:28 EDT 2010

On 2010.04.23 08:56, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca> writes:
>
>> On 2010.04.23 00:25, Paul Carlson wrote:
>>>

>>> I think that was part of what Steve was exploring.  A new network
>>> would not necessarily have access to any IPV4 addresses after v4
>>> exhaustion.  If v4 addresses were required to function in a v6
>>> world then it would certainly change allocation rules for the last
>>> of the addresses.
>>
>> Thanks for clarifying.
>>
>> You are 100% correct.
>>
>> This exploration test is not designed to be a simulation of what might
>> happen... in fact, it is purely a real-world non-simulation
>> configuration setup of what *will* happen.
>
> This zone is, however, quite useful for sussing out whether a
> particular cacheing recursive server you're talking to is dual-stack
> (as suspected, BIND anyway will return SERVFAIL instead of NOERROR as
> it tries to follow the delegation chain into address space that it
> doesn't know about).  So thanks for setting it up.  OpenDNS, Google
> and Level(3) folks, please pick up the white courtesy phone...

...just getting back to email now, I have more email in my _personal_
inbox today than I've ever had to deal with in a 48 hour period (900).

I thank you Rob for your insight.

I'll review your message along with all of the other ones over the
coming days.

This is more-or-less just a 'thank-you' message to let everyone know
that I am very appreciative of the overwhelming response that I have
received thus far. I especially want to thank those who provided
feedback to ensure my test was off the ground, and had proper technical
merit.

Cheers!

Steve