[arin-discuss] IPv6-only website

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri Apr 23 06:04:24 EDT 2010

On 2010.04.23 05:29, johnb at infinitie.net wrote:
> Hey
>
> Yup and we have a Cisco 6509. We aren't announcing BGP at the moment because our colo facility is statically announcing our CIDRs for IPv4 via BGP.

Well my friend, it's a smaller boat than I originally thought.

My upstream statically routes *my* /21 to me, and announce it out of
their AS. Repeated pushing has got me nowhere, but it's at the point
where I just can't have it anymore (ie. I have been evaluating alternate
bandwidth providers and I am very, very close to having to move).

Thankfully, v6 can be transparently announced and routed regardless of
what your colo is doing with your v4. It is no where near preferable,
but so long as a few things are in order, it is far better than nothing.

> But we want to start doing BGP and peering ourselves now since they are becoming a pain in the ass to deal with.

See above. I won't comment further.

> Definitely would love to start getting ipv6 on the roll since its going to be a gong show once ipv4 runs out and other provides are left scrambling

I attended the ARIN meeting that concluded this week. It was my first one.

There was more than one person who informed me that I got involved
meeting-wise at an unprecedented time. Personally, I currently look at
v6 as a form of insurance policy... yes, it has up front costs, but if
you don't do it now, your premiums are going to go up exponentially the
longer you wait (imho).

IPv6 is relatively easy. The numbers look a bit different, but other
than that, it comes down to numbering. I assure you that there are
numerous people who are very willing to help aid new entrants with v6
deployment.

If you haven't done so already, take an inventory of your gear.
Depending on the size of your network, you'll want to note whether the
gear can handle v6 in hardware, and whether you'll be able to implement
the same style of routing/security policy configuration in v6 like you
do in v4.

In parallel to the inventory stage, get a tunnel with he.net, throw your
tie-down route on a lab box, and let me see your prefix ;)

Steve