[arin-discuss] IPv4 allocation conundrum

Jon Radel jradel at vantage.com
Sun Apr 18 20:34:39 EDT 2010

On 4/18/10 7:18 PM, Randy Carpenter wrote:
> I understand the crunch caused by the depletion of addresses, but the specific requirement of having to already be using public addresses to get more is completely backwards. The need should be the only factor.
This is not exactly new to the crunch, although others here can better
outline the full history.  The problem I've always seen is that there is
no way to even come close to proving future "need" to ARIN without
incurring rather large expenses rigorously evaluating business plans,
and even then it's a rather squishy concept.

--Jon Radel