[arin-discuss] [arin-ppml] Advisory Council Position Petitions?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Sep 24 17:45:22 EDT 2009

Bill Woodcock wrote:
>       On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>     > All the NomCom needs to do is produce a document that lists criteria
>     > that they use.
>
> I think you're thinking of the nomcom as an ongoing body, with
> organizational memory.  That's not how it's presently defined.  Right now,
> it's a body which is formed once each year to complete a specific task.
> It does the task, and is immediately dissolved.  It doesn't set policies
> for future nomcoms, and next year's nomcom isn't comprised of people who
> were on this year's nomcom.  It's just a group of randomly-selected
> volunteers who perform a defined task once.  It produces a slate based
> upon its judgment and its collective best interpretation of its defined
> task.  If you want to influence its work, volunteer.
>
>                                 -Bill

Bill, you use the phrase "interpretation of its defined task" this is
the heart of the discussion.

As I understand it, (John correct me if this is wrong) the Board
assembles the NomCom and empowers them with the "task of producing
a slate of qualified candidates"

Thus, responsibility for defining to the NomCom what constitutes a
qualified candidate must rest with the empowering authority, ie: the board.

If that is how it works then if the definition of a qualified
candidate is very vague, the NomCom has a huge amount of leeway
because the elastic definition of "qualified" then becomes
subject to debate, as well as whether or not a candidate meets
the definition.

If however there is a published definition of "qualified candidate"
then now the only burden on a rejected candidate is of arguing
that they meet the definition, the rejected candidate then cannot
argue that the NomCom is defining "qualified candidate"
differently for each candidate.

It may not be the best thing for the current NomCom to create
this definition but certainly now, while fresh from their work
of selecting candidates, they could be very helpful in creating
the definition.

Ted