[arin-discuss] [arin-ppml] Advisory Council Position Petitions?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Sep 24 08:38:47 EDT 2009

On Sep 23, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> ... But, prioritization of would-be candidates based on
> the would-be candidate's availability to serve during the term
> or potential conflicts, are both perfectly legitimate, and in my
> opinion there should be no problem with listing them in an
> explanation of what criteria the NomCom considers when it decides
> to accept or reject a candidate.
> ..
>
> I still think what is called for here is transparency of the
> -criteria- that is used by the NomCom when determining whether
> a candidate meets qualifications for serving.  I just don't see
> anything in either of your explanations that is so unique that it
> could not be covered by a criteria list.

Ted -

   This seems like a perfectly reasonable request: a implied criterion
list of one ("ability to successfully serve in the position") doesn't
really help potential candidates (or nominators for that matter)
determine what factors are being considered.  More detailed criteria
can be clarified by ARIN staff in the election materials, but
ultimately the Board will need to decide what exactly should be
considered or not, and adopt language for the Bylaws accordingly.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO