[arin-discuss] [arin-ppml] Advisory Council Position Petitions?

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Wed Sep 23 15:47:41 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 02:07:05PM -0400, John Curran wrote:
[...]
> I have received suggestions that the NomCom should simply express a
> public opinion of support/no support for each candidate, but move all
> nominees to the ballot for sake of transparency.  This would still
> allow the membership to have the final judgement, but allow some
> deliberation of stated qualifications by a NomCom with a cross-section
> of views on the organization's needs.  Would this provide a reasonable
> balance between these needs?

I think that the process *appears* to have changed mid-stream -- even
if it hasn't done so in reality.  Moving the candidates forward
for transparency would probably be a good move at this time.  It
would cover a number of issues simultaneously:
 - members now know the NomCom has such power in elections (even
   if it wasn't used in the past)
 - it keeps *this* election in line with what others have come to
   expect (even if it is the last one)
 - it allows everyone time to discuss the situation and determine
   if a policy change is required

I was about to reply to Ted's e-mail suggesting all DRMs "sign"
the petitions for all candidates -- mostly to bring about the outcome
you describe.  I'm glad your e-mail arrived before I sent that
out.

Then again, I haven't heard a lot of chatter on the list, so perhaps
I'm in a minority in wanting to see this election commence as others
have in the past...