[arin-discuss] [arin-ppml] Advisory Council Position Petitions?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Sep 23 14:07:05 EDT 2009

On Sep 23, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> ARIN is in a unique position here compared to your
> run-of-the-mill Internet organization, because
> dissatisfied individuals simply cannot run away; ARIN is the
> only org that does what it does.  ARIN therefore lacks the
> self-selecting safety valve that another org
> does which uses an opaque selection process.  People cannot
> "vote with their feet" with ARIN. ...

Ted - As presently envisioned in the Bylaws, the safety value is the
petition process.  This replaced the process in the original Bylaws
whereby the Board and AC replacements were simply appointed by the
Board.

> ..
> I would recommend that it's imperative that the NomCom
> produce an objective summary of what they feel constitutes a qualified
> candidate.  It is also important to keep in mind that these are
> only candidates - the NomCom needs to trust that the membership
> doing the voting has the wisdom to select the most qualified
> candidates during the election.

I have received suggestions that the NomCom should simply express a
public opinion of support/no support for each candidate, but move all
nominees to the ballot for sake of transparency.  This would still
allow the membership to have the final judgement, but allow some
deliberation of stated qualifications by a NomCom with a cross-section
of views on the organization's needs.  Would this provide a reasonable
balance between these needs?

/John

John Curran
President and CEO