[arin-discuss] ARIN billing practice

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 21 19:02:08 EDT 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 3:39 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Spam may not be a crime in all countries that ARIN has jurisdiction
> over.
>
> However, please keep in mind ARIN is not above the law.

Ted -

We're proactive, not reactive here – ARIN works closely with law
enforcement organizations in the region to help them understand
exactly what the records we keep (publicly visible and private in the
application process) to help support them in their enforcement
activities.

This turns out to be very important for the criminal investigations
that are being pursued against parties whose identity is predominantly
virtual.

It's important to note that ARIN can easily reclaim IP resources from
parties that make fraudulent applications to ARIN, but otherwise we
are not in a position to reclaim resources to a party which is alleged
of criminal activity.  We do investigate each fraud report, but many
of them do not involve any misrepresentation to ARIN and hence are a
matter for law enforcement.

/John