[arin-discuss] ARIN billing practice

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Sep 21 13:05:52 EDT 2009

John Curran wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Bill Woodcock wrote:
>>> There is also a much simpler change:   ARIN could refuse
>>> allocations to
>>> people who are known bad payers.  This will chop him off at the
>>> knees.
>> I think you guys are _radically_ underestimating the willingness and
>> ability of bad actors to do paperwork and pay fees.  ...
>
> Alas, Bill is correct: bad actors are quite willing to find fresh
> associates to register under, and are likely to have great payment
> history until the organization simply closes shop and moves on.  It
> might be possible to find some common on nameservers, or upstream
> providers after ARIN's done the allocation and it's been put to use,
> but that's too late for these purposes.

As it has been said many times, on many anti-spam forums, the root
of the spam problem is people who receive spams who then go on to
send money to the spammers.  As long as you have ignorance, mankind
will have those criminals who prey on it.

"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of
their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see
that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased."--- Dickens,
A Christmas Carol

Ted