[arin-discuss] ARIN billing practice

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 21 12:47:53 EDT 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Bill Woodcock wrote:

>> There is also a much simpler change:   ARIN could refuse
>> allocations to
>> people who are known bad payers.  This will chop him off at the
>> knees.
>
> I think you guys are _radically_ underestimating the willingness and
> ability of bad actors to do paperwork and pay fees.  ...

Alas, Bill is correct: bad actors are quite willing to find fresh
associates to register under, and are likely to have great payment
history until the organization simply closes shop and moves on.  It
might be possible to find some common on nameservers, or upstream
providers after ARIN's done the allocation and it's been put to use,
but that's too late for these purposes.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO