[arin-discuss] (non) Ability to follow the PPML

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sat Jun 13 15:40:54 EDT 2009

> - there are many other members out there who have a very
> difficult time following policy discussion on the PPML, and
> moreover, feel that their input might not be welcome, as it
> could be inserted untimely into a thread

These people should post regardless of what other on the
list might think or do. Your opinions count, literally, since
the AC counts the people who post for or against each
proposal.

> - some have stated that there needs to be an aggregation
> tactic in place, that will consolidate the important points
> from the list regarding policy discussion

In the real world, that is called a newspaper, or an
editorial. It helps give people a sense of what is going
on, but is often used to manipulate opinions. Better to
just read what you can, follow what you think is important,
and don't worry about reading every darn thing on the list.
I skim lots of posts, i.e. I do not read every word.

> I really care about the future of global IP communication. If
> the numbering resource hierarchy falls apart, I feel that
> everything I have learnt up until now was a waste.

And if a comet hits the earth then your whole life was a
waste. You can only do what you can do. Carve off some
chunk of life that you can be responsible for, and don't
worry so much about the rest. With 5 billion people around,
there are plenty of others to take up the slack.

> I live to learn (and I suppose I learn to live); I want to
> learn more about how to better engineer the network, as much
> as I want to learn how to help with responsible policy for
> the next generation who operates our network if it still
> operates over IP.

Look up the word "polymath". It's a lifestyle that suits some
people, but most of us are better off specializing.

--Michael Dillon