[arin-discuss] (non) Ability to follow the PPML

Alexander, Daniel Daniel_Alexander at Cable.Comcast.com
Thu Jun 11 12:03:57 EDT 2009

Steve,

You are not alone in your thoughts below. Many people feel that way, and
it is also a topic of conversation within the ARIN AC.

One thing I would offer is that you do have the Advisory Council at your
disposal. You should feel free to contact any one of us off list if you
have questions about the topics being discussed.

Most people on these lists all have day jobs, and keeping up with the
mailing lists can be a challenge.

Thanks,
Dan Alexander
ARIN AC

-----Original Message-----
From: arin-discuss-bounces at arin.net
[mailto:arin-discuss-bounces at arin.net] On Behalf Of Steve Bertrand
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:25 AM
To: arin-discuss at arin.net
Subject: [arin-discuss] (non) Ability to follow the PPML

Being a relatively young person in this Internet world, and the roles I
hold at the small organization I work for, I would formally like to say
that I can not keep up with the pace of the PPML, and therefore can not
properly make *informed* decisions on current policy matters.

It is very disconcerting to me that I am just not political nor
available enough to deal with the current issues at hand.

Recently, I received a reply from Mr. Herrin, and regretfully, I don't
even know how to reply to his message, as I don't have the time to think
about how I really feel about it. (I'm honoured that I received a
response from such a prolific and honourable member of our community
though).

I have so many things to say, but feel that there is no where to say
them. I have many gripes, but can't complain...

Informally:

Are there any other ARIN members out there who are overwhelmed by the
politics and shit that happen on the PPML and just can't keep up? Am I
in a closet where I'm the only baby v4 holder listening?

I'm sure there are other small(er) orgs out there (I'm but a /21 and /32
holder) who can feel my pain of either not wanting to deal with the
politics individually, or are not able to deal with the politics
individually.

I'd like to know whether it would be worth-while trying to configure a
group of 'small' participants who can discuss issues off-list based on
what is on-list, and then react as a voice of many after aggregating the
understanding of each other.

Discussion and off-list feedback requested.

Aside from my rant, I'd also like to personally thank John Curran who
replied to my last -discuss message with a very informative, timely and
understandable response. It was just pure irony that Mr. Vixie's email
slipped through at about that same time that solidified your response to
me ;)

Steve