[arin-discuss] Good Stewardship by example, I'd like to RETURN a /20

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jul 24 11:14:33 EDT 2009

> PS.  I also just learned (from an offline conversation, quote below)
> that
> ARIN recently set a policy to allow the selling of IP space (paid
> transfers)
> between organizations.  Does this seem counter to good stewardship
> in a time
> of impending depletion?  If I have my head on straight, this is a
> pretty
> kind act towards those same early/big assignment holders, isn't it?

You say "ARIN recently set" as if ARIN was some third party setting
policy
independent of input from the membership or the community.

While the policy proposals in question took a tortured and circuitous
route
to adoption, it was definitely done with community input and support
throughout the process.

It is a matter of record that I was the only dissenting voice in passing
policy proposal 2009-1, and, that I did so strictly because I felt
that the
community's interests were not represented in the removal of the sunset
clause. Given the lack of support for subsequently restoring the sunset
clause both in the AC and apparently on PPML, I can only conclude
that my belief the community wanted the sunset clause may well have
been incorrect.

While I remain unconvinced that a liberalized transfer policy is good
policy, I am convinced that of the community which was participating
in policy development at the time the issue was being considered, there
was/is strong support for such a policy.

I do not believe the ARIN should adopt bad policy just because there
is strong community support for it.  However, I do believe that if ARIN
(specifically the AC and the BoT) are going to go against strong
community support, then, they should be somewhat certain that the
policy in question is bad policy. I am not sufficiently certain that the
relaxed transfer policy is bad policy.

Owen

The opinions above are mine and mine alone.  I am not speaking
for the AC and many members of the AC disagree with me on
this subject.