[arin-discuss] Good Stewardship by example, I'd like to RETURN a /20

VAUGHN THURMAN - SWIFT SYSTEMS INC Vaughn at SwiftSystems.com
Fri Jul 24 10:32:36 EDT 2009

Lee Howard asked:
> In order to fulfill my duties as a Board member, I am asking the
membership
> for guidance in setting the budget and fees.

Could we consider developing a voluntary fund (like the extra dollar you can
contribute to Presidential Election Funds) when you renew?

I would contribute to it, but don't like the idea of forcing Owen to do so,
since he doesn't see things as I do.  :- )

???

Regards,
~Vaughn

PS.  I also just learned (from an offline conversation, quote below) that
ARIN recently set a policy to allow the selling of IP space (paid transfers)
between organizations.  Does this seem counter to good stewardship in a time
of impending depletion?  If I have my head on straight, this is a pretty
kind act towards those same early/big assignment holders, isn't it?

> Add to that the fact that we now have a strong incentive for people to
squat on wasted space
> and maximize their profits from doing so by transferring that space for a
fee as a result of
> revisions to sections 8.2 and 8.3 of the NRPM by policy proposals 2008-6
and 2009-1, and I
> just don't see how people would be more willing to give up space for free.
I agree that this