[arin-discuss] Food for thought: IPv4 accountability.

Mike Horwath drechsau at iphouse.net
Wed Jul 22 09:22:47 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 09:14:08PM -0500, Chris Gotstein wrote:
> ARIN needs to step in and start dealing with these large, mostly
> unused blocks of IP address space.  A working group would be a good
> start, or maybe it's just a matter of asking for justification from
> each of these companies.  ARIN has the right to poll current block
> holders of address space on justification, why can't they do the
> same on these large blocks?  If HP and Apple can show they are using
> 80% or more of their block, then they can keep it and we move on.
> If not, then they should break up their blocks, and return the
> un-used space to ARIN.

Naysayer: Won't happen, boys club benefit and all that

Optimistic Internet Person:  Not withstanding the example companies
above, fingers need to be pointed at many different organizations and
requests to them could be done to help create internal and positive
feedback ending in equality to how each member is treated.

Reality: Unless you are one of the members of the club, you will jump
through hoops and do much paperwork to justify your 'net existence.

As I mentioned yesterday, this topic is a repeat topic, and will
continue to repeat until changes occur.

And going physically to a meeting was never a requirement to be heard.

Mike Horwath      ipHouse - Welcome home!       drechsau at iphouse.net
        The universe is an island, surrounded by whatever it is
        that surrounds universes. - Berkely Fortune