[arin-discuss] Food for thought: IPv4 accountability.

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Jul 21 23:04:47 EDT 2009

Chris Gotstein <chris at uplogon.com> writes:

> That is an option, one which we are looking into.  There are still
> some issues with IPv6 on the client side, ie, handing out
> addresses/subnets, client side routers/modems/cpe/etc supporting IPv6,
> etc.

Yes.  Some of us who ran ISPs in the early 90s remember the
difficulties well.  Trumpet Winsock, anyone?  Everythnig old is new
again, and some number of those who man up and forge ahead will win
big.  You gotta play to win, though.

> On top of that, there are almost no major websites running dual
> stack. Do a dig or nslookup and see how few AAA records actually come
> up.

See above.

> In fact, from a web hosting stance, cpanel (which is wen hosting
> control panel) doesn't support IPv6 yet!  We host over 100 sites that
> could all be dual stack accessible if cpanel would support IPv6.

This is by no means the biggest shortcoming of cpanel.

-r