[arin-discuss] Food for thought: IPv4 accountability.

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Jul 21 22:33:14 EDT 2009

Chris Gotstein <chris at uplogon.com> writes:

> I would agree.  Us small guys don't want to get to a point where the
> big guys are holding available IP address space over our heads for a
> fee.

We've been there before, where address space was ridiculously
difficult or costly to get:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Network_Identification_Code
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAP_address

Funny thing happened...  those areas did not take off, and the
Internet was built on competing technology.

Ever thought that in a post-exhaustion world, the path of least
resistance might be to just go ahead and get your IPv6 on?

-r