[arin-discuss] Food for thought: IPv4 accountability.

Mike Horwath drechsau at iphouse.net
Tue Jul 21 17:47:52 EDT 2009

Hi.

This issue and scare of IPv4 going away, running out of space, I hear
rice cakes are tasty - has been going on for way too long.

I started my first ISP in 1993 and was told then that I needed to be
stingy with my allocation.  16 years later, same mantra, same boys
with their toys who don't want to share the pool.

The issues of accountability go back to the mid/late-1990s when it was
posed that companies/institutions/government be held to the same
standards as joe schmoe consumer of netblocks.  Search the mailing
list archives, I am sure you will find commentary in regular spats.

This isn't going to change, unfortunately.

The old boys club is just that: a club of old boys who have benefits
for themselves.  They even have a sign on their clubhouse that states
'No Girlz'.  (the rest of us are the girlz if that wasn't obvious)

BUT: you too can join the club: just rewind time by about 20 years,
get in on the ground floor 'IP Address Give Away' stock offering.

Or do what others do, buy larger netblock holding companies:  PROFIT

If I sound a little bitter, I apologize.  The playing field should be
level when it comes to this resource.  It never has been.  I don't
think it ever will be.

I said it, you read it, I can't take it back.

Mike Horwath      ipHouse - Welcome home!       drechsau at iphouse.net
        The universe is an island, surrounded by whatever it is
        that surrounds universes. - Berkely Fortune