[arin-discuss] pre-ARIN IP allocation legal rights

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Mon Oct 13 14:04:26 EDT 2008

> lawyers about whats implicit, explicit, inferred, or "No one did
> anything for such a long time, why now?"
>
> 	The last one sorta is something I wonder. ARIN was established
> in December of 1997. Why, 10+ years later, have they decided to
> start this process? Shouldn't it have been started sometime in 1Q98?
> Theres been 20 some odd ARIN meetings, 8-10 Board of Trustee Meetings
> a year.

Perhaps there was an assumption that people would do the right thing
without having to be forced?  This used to be a lot more common
behavior.

> I guess I also go back to what was it that made you start this thread?

My only motive is that pretty much every proposal on the table is
being argued about not on the proposals merits, but how it affects non-
signatories.  This issue has become the roadblock for all ongoing
proposals. And lots of people are making all sorts of claims about
rights they would be giving up.  I wanted to have explicit clarity on
what rights these are.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek