[arin-discuss] Team Cymru

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Mar 28 15:58:20 EDT 2008

Meaningless.  More money is spent but the margins are a lot thinner,
so for quite a number of markets, a manufacturer will make the same
money however they approach the market.

The difference is that while ALL manufacturers have the ability to
play in the mundane market (since no skill is required) not all
have the ability to compete in the customized products markets,
since skill is required to make those products.

That's why there more people hawking crap to the masses.  It's not
because they make more money doing it.  It's because they can't do
anything else.

At the end of the day, all that matters is how much money you take
home to your bank account.  You can do this by either selling a few
good items at high margins, or a lot of crappy sales at low margins,
it's your choice.

But don't kid yourself by telling yourself if your in the crappy sales
business that while you may hate your job that at least you make up for
that by making a lot more money than everyone else.

And, as for the customer side of things - if you give people the
money they will go for the better quality stuff
every time.  Nobody really -wants- to buy the el-cheapo products,
they just do it because having a cheap product is better than
having nothing.

Walk up to any guy on the street waxing eloquent about how great his
new Toyota Corolla is, and hand him a title to a new Lexus and
tell him all he has to do to get it is give you the title of his
Corolla - and you will own a Corolla so fast it will make your head
spin.

> For the engineer I was
> talking with about this years ago, who demanded to be paid more for
> his crafted work, my advice was "I'd rather pay more for someone that
> consistently delivered what I wanted" than to someone that also
> derived pleasure from the work.
>
> If Team Cymru enjoys "this" role, isn't that enough of a reward? ;)
> To quote James McMurtry "If you liked what you're doin', it wouldn't
> be work."

I'm glad this is all purely hypothetical because your contradicting
yourself there.

Your sentence meaning is:

You would rather pay more to

a) someone who consistently delivered
b) someone who didn't enjoy their work

than to someone who:

a) someone who consistently delivered
b) someone who did enjoy their work

which contradicts your following statement:

"If Team Cymru enjoys "this" role, isn't that enough of a reward"

I suspect that your grammer, spelling, and logic teachers
in school were people who:

a) didn't consistently deliver
b) didn't enjoy their work.

It's a shame that they imbued you with such a dislike of
people who consistently make great products and enjoy doing so.
You don't sound like you lead a very happy life.

Ted