[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Oct 31 10:58:00 EDT 2007

> A for-profit company spends marketing dollars expecting to
> reach the market that will buy its services. There was no
> market for ARIN at VON.

And ARIN is not a for-profit company. Your point?

> ARIN is a market monopolist; there is only one registry in
> North America and so there is no "market" for its services to
> compete in.

ARIN happens to be an incorporated organization with a charter
which tells its management what they should be doing overall. That
charter includes educational outreach, and since VoIP services
are becoming a large user of IP addresses, which are in very short
supply unless they use the v6 flavor, it seems highly appropriate
for ARIN to be at a VoIP event.

> This was just a junket; part of that $400,000 or so 46%
> increase in the travel budget that I cited a couple weeks
> ago. Done under the euphemism of "outreach".  These trade
> shows are indeed a lot of fun. I wish I had an extra $400,000
> to spend attending trade shows, staying in nice hotels,
> flying around.

Don't we all wish that we could go on junkets like politicians
and political lobbyists and NGO workers do. If that's what you really
want, then start sending out resumes. The rest of us look at the
pittance
that ARIN charges for services, are well up to speed about the cost
of attending conferences, and are willing to live with "expensive"
outreach services that only cost our organizations a few bucks a year.
It's all about costs and benefits.

> But otherwise, I enjoyed the chance to talk to Einar and Jon,
> especially after I felt I couldn't attend Albuquerque because
> of the unrestrained presence of persons from Nanog who have
> made physical threats of violence against me.

You should have gone to ABQ and laughed in their faces. In a hotel
with security guards on site 24/7, what could they do?

--Michael Dillon