[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Ralph Doncaster ralph at istop.com
Sat Oct 13 22:59:52 EDT 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Dean Anderson wrote:

> Legacy's have 20+ years of performance to establish their claims. Even
> if there were no written documents, that's proof enough to establish the
> claim; If there are no documents, and if the documents are actually
> vague and unspecific, then past performance defines the undefined terms.

My understanding of contract law is that it requires an offer, acceptance,
and consideration.  It seems legacy users accepted an offer of an
assignment of IP space, but for those who got it for free I don't see
evidence of consideration.

For legacy's that got their assignment for free, what would their claim be
based on if not contract law?

-Ralph