[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

Dean Anderson dean at av8.net
Fri Oct 12 01:55:36 EDT 2007

It occurs to me that the release of the Legacy RSA just announced
violates the process of ARIN to solicit input from the membership before
adopting a new license.  The ARIN community should discuss the license
and decide the terms just like any other significant change in ARIN.
ARIN can't just drop a new licence without any discussion.

It also occurs to me that Legacy RSA, if it removes _any_ privilege or
value from Legacy's, is extortion.  From Blacks Law dictionary:

Extortion: The obtaining of property from another induced by wrongful
use of actual or threatened force, violence, or fear, or under color of
official right. 18 U.S.C.A section 871 et seq; section 1951

ARIN, in statements by it lawyer, and supported by Chairman Curran's
statements, has threatened to deny service to Legacy's under the color
of official right, creating fear and thereby inducing Legacy's to agree
to an RSA that (presumably) removes valuable rights from Legacy's.

There are references to the Hobbs Act (racketeering) if the extortion
interferes with interstate commerce (it does, since whois and in-addr
services are used in interstate commerce.)

Anticipating that people might argue that IP Addresses aren't property,
I looked up what property is. According to Black's Law Dictionary, in
criminal law, the term 'property' includes contract rights, and that is
exactly what the subject is here.

		--Dean

617 344 9000