[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.net
Wed Oct 10 20:14:55 EDT 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:

> > > The budget line item says "Merit/NANOG Meeting Support"
> > > http://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/budget.html
> >
> > Merit and Nanog are separate entities.  Which one was supported?
> >
> > 		--Dean
> >
> I think the syntax is valid, even today.  If you look at:
>
> http://www.nanog.org/charter.html
>
> the relationship between NANOG and Merit is clearly defined.

It is quite clearly defined. Nanog is a corporation, and Merit is a
different corporation. They are separate organizations with separate
bank accounts and separate projects.  Indeed some Merit employees work
part time for Nanog. That doesn't make them the same. At most, that just
makes Merit a contributor to Nanog, and maybe not even a contributor
depending on staff arrangements.

RADB is a Merit project that is separate from Nanog.

Likewise, The LPF is separate from MIT. FSF is separate from MIT.
However, Richard Stallman is employed by MIT. That fact doesn't make
either LPF or FSF a part of MIT.  If you mean to support the MIT
Computer Science and AI Lab, and you send the funds to the LPF, it would
be a mistake that should be corrected

		--Dean

617 344 9000