[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Wed Oct 10 14:33:57 EDT 2007

Dean said, regarding ARIN's support of NANOG:

> It is a quite limited interaction, benefiting a very small
> number of ISPs. Its is unfair to the vast bulk of other ISPs
> who don't participate in Nanog.
>
> You didn't address why you gave such a comparatively large
> amount to such a small organization.

I have been reminded that the original intent was to support
the RADB, which was supported by the community.  Later, the
intent changed to support webcasting meetings, so ARIN
community members could participate.

It seems to me that the benefits of having a forum for
Internet operators is of enormous community benefit.

> > More people go to NANOG than ARIN.  When we have joint meetings, we
> > get more attendees at the ARIN meeting, and more of them
> are attending
> > for the first time.
>
> And how many of those people are likely to become ARIN
> members? How many are even the whois contacts for their companies?

ARIN Public Policy meetings are for the public.  They are
open to everyone.

> > Most people who attend the ARIN meeting or both meetings
> tell us that
> > they like having joint meetings.
>
> I'm sure the Nanog people say that. Nanog attendence has
> dramatically increased after joint meetings with ARIN.

I was referring to statistics reported by ARIN's Member
Services, and the participant feedback we get after
ARIN meetings.

> > We don't hold both ARIN meetings jointly with NANOG.  We
> can run joint
> > meetings with other organizations, if you (the community) and they
> > (the other organization) wish.
>
> I'll see what I can arrange. I can arrange a lot more if
> you'll donate $50,000 to other organizations as well.

Make a case to the community and Board.  We're not a charity,
but we do support the advancement of the Internet through
information and educational outreach.

Lee