[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.net
Wed Oct 10 11:37:37 EDT 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Howard, W. Lee wrote:
> > And, I wonder why ARIN is giving $50,000 to Nanog.
>
> I can't speak for the whole Board on this, but here's why I think it's
> a good idea: NANOG provides a forum for technical interaction between
> ISPs.  In some regions, this is provided by RIRs.  I think this kind
> of forum is of benefit to the entire community, and I wish I
> personally could attend more NANOG meetings.

It is a quite limited interaction, benefiting a very small number of
ISPs. Its is unfair to the vast bulk of other ISPs who don't participate
in Nanog.

You didn't address why you gave such a comparatively large amount to
such a small organization.

> > I also rather object to ARIN having joint meetings with
> > Nanog, since this transfers benefits to Nanog, and doesn't
> > seem to benefit ARIN in any way that I can see.
>
> More people go to NANOG than ARIN.  When we have joint meetings, we
> get more attendees at the ARIN meeting, and more of them are attending
> for the first time.

And how many of those people are likely to become ARIN members? How many
are even the whois contacts for their companies?

> Most people who attend the ARIN meeting or both meetings tell us that
> they like having joint meetings.

I'm sure the Nanog people say that. Nanog attendence has dramatically
increased after joint meetings with ARIN.

> We don't hold both ARIN meetings jointly with NANOG.  We can run joint
> meetings with other organizations, if you (the community) and they
> (the other organization) wish.

I'll see what I can arrange. I can arrange a lot more if you'll donate
$50,000 to other organizations as well.

> I hope you (and the entire community) are finding this discussion to
> be open, and your Board members to be responsive.

Yes. Thanks.

		--Dean

617 344 9000